For all the party people in the Bay Area looking to go out and celebrate this New Year’s Eve by going to club and bar events we got your way to make it home to the events and back safely! In order for make sure everyone has fun without any accidents because of drunk driving, certain Bay Area transportation services will be extending their hours of operation and even be giving free lifts. Make sure to check out the options you have…
- Muni travel, including cable cars, is free from 8 p.m. New Year’s Eve until 6 a.m. New Year’s Day.
- Customers are encouraged to use the Metro to get into and out of the Downtown area.
- Additional Metro service from 8 p.m. to 2:15 a.m. from West Portal to Caltrain and until 4 a.m. from Embarcadero to West Portal Station.
- J, K, L, M, and N Metro lines are operating on their regular weekday schedule, until shortly before 1 a.m.
- Owl service: Extra service on Muni Owl Lines (1 to 5 a.m service): 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 38 Geary, 90 Owl, 91 Owl, and L and N Owl motor coach service. Frequency will be shortened from 30 to 15 minutes.
- Extra Owl service is subject to change, based on operating conditions.
- The F Market and Wharves service will be provided by motor coaches after approximately 4 p.m. There will be reroutes only if necessary.
- Customers are encouraged to buy two-way tickets at the start of the evening to avoid long lines for return tickets at the end of the evening.
- BART trains will continue to run until around 3 am Sunday, January 1, 2012. Trains will run at their normal intervals during the extended hours. For example, if your train arrives at your favorite station at 11 pm, it will also arrive 12 am, 1 am, 2 am and 3 am.
- BART will have extended service that evening. To help ease the crowding at the Embarcadero and Montgomery Stations, the following will be in effect after 8 p.m.:
- Trains coming from the Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond lines will at Montgomery Station, but not at Embarcadero Station. After the fireworks, customers returning on the Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond lines will pick up the trains back at Montgomery as well.
- Trains coming from the Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont lines will stop at Embarcadero Station, but not at Montgomery Street. After the fireworks, customers going to Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont will also catch the trains at Embarcadero for their return trip.
- If you are going to the Peninsula, you are encouraged to use Montgomery Station rather than Embarcadero station. If you do board at Embarcadero, take any train, but you may need to transfer at
- For further information, visit BART at www.bart.goincluding BART 2011 New Years Eve information
- Caltrain will operate on a Saturday schedule and add four extra trains. Southbound trains leave at 7:15, 8:15, 9:15 and 10:15 p.m.; 12:01, 12:45, 1:15, 1:45 and 2:15 a.m.
- AC Transit provides regular overnight service on Route 800 from selected stops on Market Street.
Eastbound 800 Sunday/holiday schedule, AC Transit webs
- SamTrans provides regular overnight service on Route 397 from Transbay Terminal and from 11th and Market.
Southbound 397 Sunday/holiday schedule, new 511 websit
Southbound 397 Sunday/holiday schedule, accessible 511 websitrly trips are shown after later trips.
- Golden Gate Transit provides a regular late night Route 70 trip after midnight.
Northbound 70 weekend schedule, Golden Gate Transit website
The American Automobile Association (AAA) is again running their holiday Free Tipsy Tow Home service for anyone in Northern California. If you’re drinking and don’t think you should drive, give them a call. You don’t have to be a AAA member to call (and neither does your tipsy friend), because the Tipsy Tow program is open to everyone. They offer a free five-mile tow home for drinking drivers and their vehicles, including potential passengers, party hosts, bartenders, and restaurant managers. Give them a call!
Just tell the AAA operator, “I need a Tipsy Tow,” and a truck will be on its way.
If you want full details for certain transportation service click on the link below