SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – The Giants are underdogs heading into the World Series, according to odds-makers in Las Vegas. That’s good news when you consider this fact: no underdog has lost a series this postseason.
The Giants are only at a slight disadvantage, likely because Kansas City has home field advantage in the series. Gaming site Bovada indicates that you have to risk $105 to win $100 on another Giants championship. You have to risk $115 to win $100 betting on the Royals. So it’s close to a toss up.
However, the underdog designation has been significant this postseason because every team projected by bookies as destined for elimination has actually won its series. The Dodgers, Tigers, Angels and Nationals were all favored in the divisional round and lost. The Orioles and Cardinals were favored in the league championship round and managed just one victory combined.
In fact, the only favorite in an elimination situation this season to advance was the Giants in the Wild Card round, where they were given a slight edge over the Pirates.
The Giants are actually a slight favorite in the Game 1 Tuesday, when they send Ace Madison Bumgarner against Kansas City starter James Shields.
Read More On The World Series:
- AT&T Park’s New Features For Giants’ Home Opener, From Seats to Organic Garden, Apps, and an Exclusive Club
- The Buzz: San Jose Roller Rink Closes, Celebs At Giants Games, Lorde Photoshop Controversies And More
- 5 Favorite Food Finds Near AT&T Park
- Best Sports Bars For Watching The World Series
- Series Of Big Events To Crowd San Francisco This Weekend
- Giants Pitcher Matt Cain Lends Image To NoH8 LGBT Rights Movement