To no one’s surprise, The Hunger Games continued to reign the box office ranks this week. To date, the film is the seventh highest grossing film (so far) in 2014. All things considered, it will likely close at around $324 million, just below Guardians of the Galaxy.
Meanwhile, though, the holiday weekend’s two big premieres, Penguins of Madagascar and Horrible Bosses 2, were both disappointments.
Over the five day holiday weekend, Penguins took in a total of around $36 million, which sounds high, but is actually just over half as much the original film Madagascar took in almost ten years ago. Despite favorable reviews and the holiday push, the film was a big flop.
Horrible Bosses 2 ended up in fifth place with $15.7 million. That’s 45% below what the original Horrible Bosses opened to with the same cast, and with negative reviews and poor word-of-mouth, it will likely end up around $50 million or less by the time it exits box offices.
Full Box Office (via Box Office Mojo):
1. The Hunger Games: Part 1 $56,875,000
2. Penguins of Madagascar $25,800,000
3. Big Hero 6 $18,770,000
4. Interstellar $15,800,000
5. Horrible Bosses 2 $15,700,000
6. Dumb and Dumber To $8,295,000
7. The Theory of Everything $5,082,000
8. Gone Girl $2,470,000
9. Birdman $1,880,000
10. St. Vincent $1,773,000
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Becomes Fastest Movie To Reach $1 Billion
- ‘Hotel Transylvania 2’ Slays Box Office Competitors In Weekend Lineup
- ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Heads Straight To First Place In Weekend Box Office
- ‘Mission: Impossible’ Cruises To Top Of The Box Office, ‘Vacation’ Takes A Wrong Turn
- ‘Ant-Man’ Crushes ‘Pixels’, ‘Jurassic World’ Busts A Box Office Record
- ‘Ant-Man’ Crawls Its Way To Box Office Heights During Opening Weekend